Healthy “Twix” Bar Recipe
It’s back to school month and keeping your kids healthy, gluten-free, diary-free and sugar-free is a challenge (some would say impossible).
This healthy remake for a “twix” candy bar is still yummy, but has none of the sugar, dairy, gluten or over processed ingredients or chemicals found in the actual candy bar. It’s fun to cook with your kids, although this dessert could also be served to a purely adult crowd. Who doesn’t love some “caramel” and chocolate with a crunchy cookie base?
These bars have all of the flavor but you won’t crave sugar after eating them, nor will you pack on the pounds. In fact, while it’s very easy to eat too much candy, these healthy versions are so satisfying that a little goes a long way.
I credit my daughter for this recipe. It was her brainchild and then we played around with it to put together a legitimate look-alike of the original.
I don’t recommend a lot of desserts but when the occasion arises it’s nice to have a go-to recipe that’s a winner. You don’t have to feel guilty about this indulgence. It has zero refined flour, sugar, gluten, or dairy.
Please let me know how you enjoy it and any variations you come up with.
Gluten-free, Vegan, Sugar-free "Twix" BarPrint This
2/3 cup coconut flour
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons date syrup
1/3 cup coconut oil, solid
½ cup creamy almond butter
1/3 cup date syrup
1/3 cup butter flavored olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter flavored olive oil (or avocado oil)
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons date syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 8×8 square pan with parchment paper.
- Combine coconut flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add the date syrup and stir until fully combined and crumbly.
- Add the room temperature coconut oil and mix until a large dough ball forms, pressing out any clumps of coconut oil.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Let cool completely.
- For the filling, combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until all of the ingredients are melted and throughly combined.
- Pour over the crust and let cool in the refrigerator until set before topping with chocolate layer.
- For the chocolate topping, whisk together all of the ingredients and pour over the cooled caramel layer.
- Smooth evenly and let cool until set.
- Slice into 1-inch slices, or 16 squares.
Keep stored in the refrigerator.
Enjoy! *Inspired by recipe on Bakerita.com.